Total Pageviews

Friday, May 1, 2015

In the beginning. Our journey toward owning a trawler

     I was sitting in my office one day when a colleague came in and asked "do you like to sail?".  When I said that I did he then asked if I would be interested in chartering a sailboat in the British Virgin Islands.  I said that I would ask my claustrophobic wife and get back to him.  To make a long story short, my wife said yes. We chartered a 39' sailboat out of Tortola and we were hooked.

     We chartered three more times and loved our experiences in the BVIs.  Here are links to our sailing charter videos.













  We also joined the Coasters Harbor Navy Yacht Club in Newport RI and sailed with many new friends on lots of boats.  Here are links to our Narragansett Bay sailing adventures.












     Although we loved the boating life and loved sailing we soon learned that we did not really love sailboats.  We learned that we could sail almost anytime we wanted as most sailboat owners are always looking for crew to help sail their sailboats.  However, after we were done sailing for the day and came back to the dock, grabbed a mooring, or dropped anchor we noticed that sailboats were not all that comfortable for relaxing.  We noticed that we almost always ended up on the big power boat for cocktails at the end of the day.

     So after five years of sailing and thinking about owning our own sailboat we came to the conclusion that we were really more suited to be power boat owners, but what kind of power boat?

     We decided on a trawler because since we were sailors we were used to going 6-8 knots.  We loved the space and comfort.  We also liked trawlers because of the fuel economy and range.

     Next:  Which trawler to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment